Wednesday 3 April 2013

A foolproof end to your next dinner party.

This blog post has been a long time coming. I do have a multitude of excuses for why I have been M.I.A. in the past 3-plus months - I was busy with Christmas, New Years, and starting back at work; and I've been totally loved up and planning the wedding of the century with my significant other. But the best excuse of all of them is my foodie one... I started a business!! I'm working market stalls on a regular basis selling my sweet baked treats and doing quite well, if I do say so myself! So I hope that gets me off the hook with being blogless for such a long time.

So, what could be worthy of getting away from my super busy schedule to blog? Choc-mint fondant, of course!

Before Christmas, my awesome friend K took me to a cooking class at Sydney Cooking School (Note: best birthday present ever!!). We chose 'Delicious Desserts' to learn how to make 5 new desserts neither of us had attempted before and first up was chocolate fondant. This was introduced to us as the "fool proof" dessert and that couldn't be more true. There are a few pressure points I will explain at the end but here it is:

Chocolate Fondant (Serves 4)
120g good quality dark chocolate (I use Nestle plaistowe)
120g unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 yolks
60g sugar
10g plain flour

1. Grease and lightly flour 4 metal dariole moulds.

2. Place chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water to melt. Whisk to combine.

3. In another bowl, add egg, yolk and sugar and whisk until foamy.

4. Remove chocolate from heat once melted, stir, then add to egg mixture and stir.
5. Add flour, stir to combine, then pour into moulds.
6. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 220C before the end of the hour.

7. Bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
The perfect turn out.

The final gooey goodness.
Now, I LOVE mint chocolate. It is definitely one of my favs. So when I had to make this for a dinner party, I figured I'd add a little peppermint essence (1 tbsp for a 4 serve) to the mix... and it worked! So some other suggestions I have for you - Jaffa  (add up to 1 tsbp orange essence), Choc-coco (add 1 tsbp coconut essence) and one that I think I'll try next time is a Choc-berry where I think I'll just add some blended, sieved frozen raspberries to the mix!

So, for your pressure points and tips on this no tricks dessert:
- You can't over whisk the eggs and sugar in step two - just keep whisking until your chocolate is melted.
- You MUST refrigerate this dish for at least an hour, longer if possible, but not more than 7 hours (it will set too hard).
- You MUST grease and dust your dariole moulds, I like to do mine with cocoa powder so I don't get the white powder on the outside of my chocolate baked goods.
- You unfortunately need to eat these when they've just been cooked... I saved one for my flat mate who ate hers half an hour later and it had set in the centre (She deducted me 4 whole points from a perfect 10 because it wasn't gooey!!)
- The recipe I was given said to bake for 8 minutes, but it really does depend on your oven as mine ended up being in there for about 12 minutes. If they're still gooey at the top after 8 minutes, keep a close eye on them because there is a fine line between just set on the outside, and set the whole way through!

Good luck fondanting! Let me know your favourite fondant combinations.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey. Cool article. There’s a problem with the web site in firefox, and you might want to test this… The browser is the market leader and a huge section of people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for the feedback but I am unsure about the problem is, as I personally use firefox on my laptop where I type my blog and also at work where I am currently viewing it. Can you give me specifics and I'll check if I've programmed something incorrectly.... Thanks again!

      Delete