Saturday 10 November 2012

The perfect afternoon tea accompaniment

It has been a while since my last blog post. Lots of things have been happening in the world of the curious culinarian. Unfortunately, not many of them have had to do with me whipping up interesting creations in the kitchen (I have suffered through steak/chicken and salad since we returned from Sri Lanka all those weeks ago). So, needless to say, I have been itching to find the time to test out some recipes and my first is outlined here.

Flicking through a lifestyle magazine the other day, I came across their "classic cakes" section, which included a sponge cake. I have ALWAYS wanted to try and make a sponge. It's something that looks so dainty and sweet, but seems to have an air of difficulty surrounding it... Or maybe that's just the air within it. A sponge, obviously, gets its name from its light, airy, dare I say "spongy", texture and a Victoria Sponge, as the one below will be, is two layers of the airy cake, separated by a layer of raspberry jam and whipped cream.

For all the hype surrounding the humble sponge, I have to say it really wasn't difficult. I don't know how the Country Women's Association would have rated my creation, but my colleagues sure gave me sufficient praise. Anyway, here is the recipe I used with pressure points to follow.

Victoria Sponge Cake (serves 12)

5 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup cornflour
1 tbsp boiling water
300 mL thickened cream, whipped
1/3 jar jam (I used a mix of strawberry and blackberry, but any jam would do)

1. Preheat oven to 160 C fan-forced and grease and line two 20 cm cake pans (I used springform pans as they are easy removal).
2. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs (ferociously) with sugar and vanilla for 10 minutes, until thick and creamy and sugar is dissolved (see pictures).
All in together and WHIP IT GOOD!
Using a whisk, gently fold the flour through your egg mix.
3. Sift flours together three times to aerate the flour and therefore your final cake. Using a whisk or cake spatula, fold flour into egg mixture. Fold in boiling water. Divide between prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until springy in the centre. Cool tins on a wire rack lined with baking paper, then remove from pans and cool on paper completely.
Springform pans make for easy removal
Your cakes should be golden and risen, but flat on top
4. Place one sponge on your serving plate, right side up. Top with jam, then cream (make sure you don't push your cream all the way to the edges to allow for squashing). Top with remaining sponge and sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.  
The finished product
Before I go any further, I must confess that this isn't what the sponge looked like when I arrived at work, ready to serve it to my colleagues. Those people who know me, know that sometimes there isn't much forward thinking that goes on in my head, and this happened to be one of those occasions. I didn't clingwrap the cake, for fear of ruining the icing sugar topping and squishing the layers together, so just had it placed on the floor of my car while driving to work. Going around the first corner, I realised this was a stupid mistake. The jam and cream had a lovely old time slipping and sliding all over the place, but I managed to drive just slowly enough that it remained in one piece. Until I got to work, that is... The steep driveway, combined with a sharp turn into the carpark sent my sponge flying!! The top came off, jam and cream went all over the plate and icing sugar dusted my car floor... Nice work! Lucky I am queen of damage control!!

Now, I know I said I got adequate praise for this cake (actually a few ladies told me they NEVER make sponge cake because they find it so difficult and they were shocked that it was my first attempt). However, aside from the little spillage, I don't personally think it was the best sponge I've ever had and I know I could probably improve.

So, where would I change my approach next sponge-making occasion? Firstly, I think it could have been a bit more spongy. Whether that means adding a little baking powder, or using 1 cup self raising flour instead of the half cup plain flour, or adding the flour to the egg mixture bit-by-bit so that it isn't over mixed? I'll find out and let you know.

In the meantime, have a go at this easy sponge - I promise it will be a crowd pleaser and the perfect accompaniment to a cup of English breakfast tea! (The Queen would be quite impressed).

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I didn't find it difficult at all. I'm not sure if I missed something or my brain just bypassed the stressful part.
    Yours does look a lot nicer than mine though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a sponge either but I might just give it a go

    ReplyDelete